University of California, Riverside

Environmental Sciences



History


Citrus Experiment Station

The forerunner of the Department of Environmental Sciences was an agricultural chemistry research unit in the world-renowned California Citrus Research Center and Agricultural Experiment Station (CRC-AES) which was established in Riverside in 1907. The results of research conducted by scientists in this unit led to large-scale reclamation of salt-affected lands in California, and a better fundamental understanding of base exchange, plant nutrition, and physical conditions of irrigated soils. The University of California general campus at Riverside was established in 1948, opened for classes in 1954, and initiated its Graduate Division in 1960. Since 1960, the graduate program in Soil Science has conferred 122 Master's degrees and 192 Ph.D. degrees. UCR currently has a 1,200 acre campus with 20,746 total students (Fall 2010), 2,504 of whom are graduate students. As a result, most classes are relatively small, making possible a close interaction with faculty. The College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences houses 12 centers and institutes. Nearby are the Riverside Office of the Center for Water Resources, and two U.S.D.A. research laboratories: the U.S. Salinity Laboratory and the U.S. Forest Fire Laboratory.


A Short Early History

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Environmental Sciences
Geology 2258

Tel: (951) 827-5116
Fax: (951) 827-3993

Footer